Thursday, January 5, 2023

Good Bye Lida

For Christmas this year, I got (myself) a new planner by Makselife.  It's an AMAZING planner that focuses you towards your goals in 8 areas of your life: personal, fun and recreation, work and learning, family and relationships, health and wellness, spiritual and personal growth, financial, and physical environment.  

You do an assessment of those 8 areas and then you get a score.  The ultimate 'goal' is to increase your score over the year in each area - but even you choose what your goal is.  Say in financial I score a 4/10 I can say that my goal at the end of the year is to be up to a 6 or 8 or 10 or whatever I think is possible!  

I'm on day two of using it and I'm already loving it!  I was so focused yesterday and got all my goals accomplished!  (minus working out - but that's only cuz I couldn't move!)  Every goal I have seems so insurmountable but the planner helps break down your goal into consumable chunks so it doesn't seem so overwhelming.  It's absolutely genius - it's like all the things you already 'know' but laid out in easy to follow steps.  

So anyways, today one of my goals was to journal.  I like journaling and I don't do it enough.  I need to do more mental brain dumps and I was all excited to get back to it.  

Lida, our golden retriever, had an appointment this morning because she hasn't been eating as well as she used to.  She is FOOD crazy and it was anything we could do to get her to eat.  It's only been a couple of days so I assume some sort of stomach bug or something that a little antibiotics would clear right up.  

No such luck.  After some quick blood tests and an x-ray, we discovered that Lida had a cancerous tumor in her abdomen that was bleeding and she was actively dying.  The vet recommended that we put her down immediately.  I was like, "but my husband isn't here - the other kids need to say goodbye!  Can we come back tomorrow?"  

"Based on her bloodwork," the vet explained, "she won't last the night.  Sometimes when a dog dies at home, they do it in their sleep.  However, most of the time it's traumatic for both the dog and the owners". 

SHIT.  

So I finally got ahold of Paul (he was in a meeting with his boss but by calling him three times in a row he got the hint and answered) and he hopped on the first GO Train home.  EXCEPT, the daytime Go trains only run to Aurora.  Oops.  So I drove down to Aurora and got him.  

We schedule Lida's euthanasia appointment at 6 pm to give the kids the day to spend with her.  They snuggled her and told her they loved her.  We cut up a steak into small bite-sized pieces and she had half for lunch and the other half for dinner.   

Blaine and I took her in and the procedure was smooth.  The only hitch was that they couldn't sedate her as her red blood cell count was so low sedation would ultimately do the job.  We sat with her and snuggled her.  We tried to give her chocolate but she wasn't having it.  We found some liver treats and she had a few of those.  A technician came in and set up her IV.  And when we were ready, we pressed the doorbell and a vet came in and gave her medicine to stop her heart.  She slowly stopped breathing and then they checked and her heart had indeed stopped.  

How did this happen?!?!?!  I had, what I thought, was a healthy dog THIS MORNING!!!  

I am now not a dog owner.  Our home is without a dog.  

I don't know how to not own a dog.  

I remember when Zoe passed away, we would think we heard her footsteps on the tiles.  It took so long to actually realize that she was gone.  I feel like the same thing is going to happen.  

I'm actually still in shock.  It was so fast.  

2023 you have not been nice to me so far.  Can you please be a little gentler moving forward?

I want to eat a burger but if I do my personal trainer will kick me in my vagina so I'm going to go work out instead.  

Much love,
~K



No comments:

Post a Comment