Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Black eye - day 1 and 2

So my ever so lovely yet not so bright step son, of 14 years, decided he would 'forget' to leave the gate OPEN to our basement stairs.  One of my girlfriends put it perfectly. 

"It's frustrating when the older ones can't see around 'themselves' to be responsible"

She hit the nail on the head.  That is EXACTLY where we are at with our lovely TEENAGER.  I'm too young to have a teenager - mostly because I'm too young to have WRINKLES!!

Anyways, gate open - back to my story.  Baby, of course, fell down the stairs.  I, of course, FREAKED out on step son's head and scooped baby up to make sure all bones and teeth were intact.  I'm thankful to have been friends with a pediatric nurse from sick kids.  I will never forget her saying to me, "oh we don't worry as much about the ones that are SCREAMING, as much as we worry about the ones that are placid and silent".  Well in that case, I have NOTHING to worry about.  He was SCREAMING, but for everything that I could see, he was going to be fine.

Day one after the fall:
Notice the big freaking GRIN on his face?!  It happened in the morning on Monday and by the afternoon, after nap, he was all grins again.  This picture was taken Tuesday morning.  The swelling went up quite a bit over night, and I was a bit taken aback with the colour darkening up so much.

Well, day two came with more surprises:


This picture doesn't even do justice to the DARK purple colour that is now under his eye.  Also, the scrape on the side of his eye is now a full blown hard scab.  He was rubbing at it today and I was worried he would rub it off!! :(  But again, all giggles and smiles today.  He has no idea why everyone is looking at him and smiling, but he is EATING up the attention.  I'm thinking we're going to see more yellow tomorrow - but at least that is a sign of the blood turning old and healing right? 

Stay tuned for black eye updates. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor Baby! We put up gates AFTER Willow fell down. Still, she fell down the neighbours stairs a few weeks later and broke her nose :/ He will heal nicely, I am sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy, I hope he is doing better.

    ReplyDelete