Thursday, December 16, 2010

How to make Christmas Trees that you can EAT!

By request, I'll try to do a step by step of how to make our tasty Christmas trees! 

Ingrediants:

cone shaped ice cream cones (sugar cones usually work well)
green melting chocolate
green or white coarse sugar
green icing
smarties or mini M&M's (or other small treat for decorations)

1. Melt green chocolate in double boiler.  You can also microwave it in smaller batches.  I learned the hard way that once you burn this chocolate (it goes soft but then starts to get harder again) it will NOT get softer again.  It will get harder and harder and harder until you end up with a big burnt mess!!  You have to melt it on a low temperature in order to get the best melted chocolate. 

2. Use basting brush to brush green chocolate onto cones.  I immediately sprinkle the coarse sugar over the chocolate on the cones and invert them to dry.  They don't take long to dry - by the time you do your last cone, your first one will be dry.

3. When dry, use green icing to put on decorations.  The kids like doing this part so I usually let them and it makes for fun trees! 

**  I got fancy and bought a mold that made the stars.  I used yellow melting chocolate for this as I couldn't find ANY candies that we could use that looked like stars.  **


No comments:

Post a Comment