Sunday, July 31, 2011

34 Days of Thanks - Day 3

One of my most vivid childhood memories was going to stay with my grandparents in the BIG CITY.  I was a small town girl, and going to Toronto was exciting and I looked forward to it every summer.  My grandmother would patiently wait on the TTC platforms until we could get the 'right' seat in the 'right' subway car.  I remember taking trips to Center Island for picnics and fun times with the family. 


Probably the thing I remember most, though, is not the big things.  It would be sitting on my grandparents couch and my grandfather bugging us, teasing us, and then my grandmother jumping in, "BERT!  Just leave them alone."  But we loved it.  We loved being bugged, and we loved that our grandmother would stick up for us. 

I remember my grandfather being SO proud when he got a deal.  "Look at these tomatoes.  You know where I got these tomatoes?  Guess how much I paid.  You'll never guess.  GUESS."  My grandfather worked at a printing press and I remember there always being paper in the corner cabinet in the kitchen.  I remember feeling so proud when at the next visit we would find our pictures still on the fridge. 

I remember my grandmother putting on her make-up in the living room in front of the mirror.  Why not use the bathroom?  Cause that's just how Grandma did it.  I remember being really young and getting baths in the kitchen sink.  It seemed like a HUGE kitchen sink when I was a kid, but the older I got I just realized it was only slightly bigger than average. 

I remember the house feeling like love.  I remember it always being warm.  We were always excited to go to Grandma and Grandpas.   

I remember my heart sinking when we found out Grandpa was sick.  And then breaking into a million pieces when I stood in his hospital room as he passed away.  My grandmother was so poised.  She seemed so strong, but I know inside she must have been suffering so deeply. 

Not outwardly sick, or in any distress, we were SHOCKED when only 6 short weeks later my grandmother suddenly passed away.  They say she died of a broken heart.  My grandparents were married over 50 years and were never apart for very long.  6 weeks was probably the longest they were ever apart. 

The last thing I remember, and I'll never forget was something my grandfather would say.  When he was sick, my grandmother diligently took care of him.  Managing his medications, appointments, taking over all the household chores that my grandfather was normally in charge of.  My grandfather saw and appreciated all the extra effort my grandmother was making. 

"When this is all over Ev, I'm going to take you on a vacation.  I'm going to take you on the vacation of a lifetime."

It was only 6 weeks they were apart.  I guess he kept his word.  My grandfather came and took my grandmother on a vacation.  A vacation of a lifetime.  



I could type forever.  I learned so much from both of you.  Your dedication to your faith, your family, your community.  I mean who has their TTC driver come to their funeral?  My grandfather, that's who. 

My heart still aches for your absence.  But I'm also thankful.  I'm so thankful I got to be a part of your life, and you were a part of mine. 

I love you both still so much and think of you often...


2 comments:

  1. Geez Kris, you need to have a warning on this!!! You know I am hormonal too right?? Just kidding...it would have been touching no matter what. They were very special and will always be missed. I remember Grandpa pinching my leg in church and I would squirm and then Mum would get me in trouble! I would tell her it was Grandpa then he got in trouble. When no one was looking we would secretly smile at each other. You can't forget the cookie jar on the counter and the endless supply of coke! The card games with the men while the ladies ate goodies and talked. Somehow Grandma would pull off Christmas with all the trimmings in that tiny little house. The size of the house never seemed to bother anyone. No one even really noticed. It was so special and I know our kids will have that with our parents! Grandparents are a very special relationship that is different from all others. They will always be missed and never forgotten... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have said it better lil' sis! Sorry about the hormonal thing!! Next time a warning, I promise!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete