Friday, July 29, 2011

34 Days of Thanks - Day 2

If you love something, set it free.  If it comes back to you then it's yours forever. 

Ever hear that one?  Well, I'm sure it's true some of the time, but then there's the version I experienced: If you love something (or at least you *think* you love it) then set it free.  If it comes back to you then it's yours forever.....OR you realize why the hell you let it go in the first place and you 'set it free' for the last time! 

That was kind of the story with 'Mike'.  I was really hurt when we broke up for a second time.  Mostly because things this time were going to be different and I was really going to work hard at our relationship.  Uhm, ya.  Not even married here...like how 'hard' should you have to work.  It was the biggest favor anyone has EVER done me.  Honestly.  I can't even picture where I would be now if things turned out differently.  (small gag)

So when things fizzled out for a second time, I was now empowered.  I actually felt so...FREE.  Liberated.  For the first time in my life, I was excited to be single.  I was just going to enjoy being single and have FUN with my friends in the BIG SMOKE, for a good long while. 

Those were the best two months of my life. 

Seriously.  Two months.  That's it.  I was picturing a year, maybe two.  Instead I got two months before my prince charming whisked me off my feet. 

That's when I met Paul. 

I'm so thankful for Paul in more ways than I could ever write about.  Paul entered my life at a very tumultuous time.  My grandfather had just passed away, I lost a good job I had, and in a few short weeks, I would lose my grandmother too.  I can't imagine how I would have coped not having his shoulder to cry on.  Or his sense of humor to pull me through. 

We bought our first house in Toronto and very shortly after moving in Paul proposed to me - at our housewarming party with 75 of our closest friends looking on.  :)  We were married in Nassau, Bahamas with an intimate group, and then celebrated again back home with a reception with all our friends and family. 

We went through the loss of miscarriage just months after the wedding, and then the following stress of trying to get pregnant again. 

We experienced the absolute HIGH of giving birth to our first born together, and the anxiety of being new parents. 

We have had friends leave, family pass on, babies be born and weddings to celebrate.  We have gone through everything and everything together. 

We're not perfect.  I have my faults and Paul has his.  But somehow our 'grooves' fit together.  We may not be perfect, but we're perfect for each other. 

I have watched Paul face his fear and demons and fight them head on, and he has held my hand while I do the same.  Our life has never been easy, but I have never ever had to 'work hard' to be with Paul. 

He's my best friend.  My lover.  My husband. 

I love you Paul.  I'm thankful for you every day of my life. 


"Across the gateway of my heart, I wrote no thoroughfare.  But love came laughing by and cried, I enter EVERYWHERE."

No comments:

Post a Comment