Thursday, June 20, 2013

DIY Minecraft Shirt

 
Parker is crazy for anything and everything Minecraft these days.  I admit, I just can't get 'into' the game that much.  The pixilation drives me insane.  Haven't we come SO far in animation and graphic design - why on earth is this game so painful to watch?! 
 
Well the pixilation DOES help in one regard.  SUPER easy to make a shirt.  :) 
 
The best way to do a stencil shirt is apparently freezer paper.  Of which you CANNOT buy anywhere in Canada.  (That I have found....please dear God tell me if you found it somewhere and I will buy it by the boatload!) 
 
So, not giving up easily, I Googled how to make your own.  Super useful post here:
 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-freezer-paper./

I used regular printer paper and a clear garbage bag (we use the clear ones for recycling.  The woman who wrote the post suggests perhaps melting 2 layers of plastic to the paper and judging from my edges in some areas, that is what I would do in the future. 

So in my own learning curve, again I would PRINT the stencil to the paper BEFORE melting your plastic to it.  We had to fish a few pieces of paper out of the printer that got jammed because of the extra plastic layer.  (ink jet printer -- NOT LAZER!!!) 

Also in my learning curve, I would get paint that you dab on....do not get the spray paint kind.  My first attempt clearly shows why you don't want the spray paint.  I thought that it would be faster than dabbing but it goes on WAY too thick and you get the 'spray' overage on the rest of the shirt. 


So here are MY steps:

1. Get a good stencil and print it to your paper (if you found freezer paper, trace it to the paper)

2. Melt your plastic to the back of the paper

3.  Using a new/sharp exacto knife cut out your stencil

4. Iron paper onto your shirt

5. Line the inside of your shirt with thick cardboard or plastic bag so paint stays on one layer of the shirt

6. Carefully dab paint into stenciled area

7. Again, carefully peel paper back off of shirt and let shirt dry. 

 
 
Hopefully everyone loves them at the party!!!

Can you guess who the yellow one is for???  :-) 

As an aside, I found a lot of really cute ideas for stenciling grown up shirts the same way....and the 'freezer' paper was really easy to make!!  Thanks Daisy for your help!!!  :D







1 comment:

  1. ROBLOX is driven by a growing membership base of over 300,000 creator players who provide an infinite variety of highly immersive experiences.

    These experiences range from 3D games and contests, to interactive adventures where friends can take on new identities to discover what it would be like to be a dinosaur, a miner in a quarry or an astronaut on a space exploration.

    ReplyDelete